Case Study - Mitani
Compliance solution for food manufacturer
The Mitani Group is an active player in the ‘Business to Business’ food manufacturing market, with a focus on developing and supplying tailored food componentry to other leading food manufacturers.
Established in 1979, Mitani is a South Australian family owned and operated business employing over 60 staff. Innovation and agility are key criteria to the ongoing success of Mitani all while ensuring they maintain consistent quality and remain compliant with industry standards.
As Mitani has grown, so has the need to innovate the IT systems used to operate various business functions and to aid in adopting lean principles and a continuous improvement culture.
Opportunities to improve were realised in the following challenges:
- Information was stored across different systems, email, files on individual’s computers and hard copy paper documents including hand written notes
- Finding things was a slow and manual process, especially during time critical audits
- Information was stored in various locations and the processes utilised in the production workflow was open to errors
- Critical data associated with recipes, samples and supplier batch information was not centrally documented
- There was very little scope for business analytics and insights into market trends for purchasing and sales managers
- Control of company assets and the associated maintenance costs was not being captured, potentially leading to unnecessary down time and loss of revenue
Advance took the time to understand Mitani processes and highlighted how an ECM system could digitise information management and streamline business processes, while providing quick access to information.
Arduous traceability and compliance procedures impacting quality control and risk management
- Automate processes
- Centralized document storage
- Protect sensitive information
- Easy traceability
- Instant answers
- Increased accuracy
- Visibility over processes
- Reduced risk
- Speedy audits
- Collaboration and access via mobile devices
Central location for documents
Documents were consolidated into one system (M-Files) so staff never have to worry about where something is saved or if it is the correct version.
- Staff can search for and access files however they want – by client, project, date, status or various other criteria levels depending on predetermined hierarchy
- Version control allows Mitani to track and document changes (e.g. in recipes) whilst ensuring the correct documents are always used. Previous versions can be accessed in minutes without calling on I.T.
A review of Mitani processes highlighted the potential savings automation would provide the business across many of their key processes.
By automating the processes, they now have consistency and control over their workflow. They are able to enforce and verify that every step in their business process is being followed.
Protecting critical data
With M-Files, protecting sensitive information such as recipes and critical IP while making it accessible to specific people in the organisation is easy.
M-Files manages permissions automatically and dynamically, ensuring data security and maintaining accessibility to those who need it.
Review and approve via mobile
Manage, track and approve on the go to further reduce paperwork and speed up processes
M-Files reduces risk, ensures compliance and speeds up the audit process by organising, recording and automating everything in your business.
M-Files helps create closer, more collaborative relationships with key suppliers by managing all of your information and providing quick access on any device from any location or system including CRM’s, ERP’s and other business systems.